Mainland China’s lottery sales grew to approximately RMB187.68 billion (US$30.7 billion) in the first half of 2015, up 5.2 percent year-on-year, reported Xinhua, an official Chinese news agency, quoting government figures.
Welfare lottery sales increased by 4.4 percent to reach about RMB102.84 billion, while sales of sports lottery products rose by 6.2 percent to RMB84.83 billion, the Ministry of Finance announced.
For the first half of 2014, China lottery sales increased by nearly 20 percent, the ministry had reported in July last year. Industry commentators indicated last year’s sports lottery sales numbers in particular were boosted by the FIFA World Cup soccer tournament that took place in Brazil between June 12 and July 13, 2014.
June 2015 saw sales of lottery tickets reach RMB28.12 billion, said Xinhua, adding this was actually a year-on-year decline of 22 percent, due to last year’s World Cup-fuelled high base.
East China’s Shandong province led the rise in the first half of 2015, with its lottery sales up by 1.88 billion yuan from a year ago, while Zhejiang, Hebei and Henan provinces as well as Inner Mongolia autonomous region, also posted large increases, according to the ministry.
Under lottery management rules, money from ticket sales must cover administrative fees and public welfare projects as well as the jackpot.
In June, Reuters news agency, citing a study by China’s state auditor, said that the mainland authorities had found “widespread misappropriation” of RMB16.9 billion of funds from the state lottery programme in some provinces following an audit covering operations between 2012 and 2014.
In early April, eight Chinese government agencies confirmed a suspension of what they described as “unauthorised online lottery sales services”. That suspension of online lottery sales continues, according to firms operating in the sector.
Aug 16, 2018Food and drink have been heavily marketed as part of Macau...
Jun 27, 2018Macau’s gaming law needs to be amended in order to...
Jun 25, 2018Electronic casino game distributor Asia Pioneer...
Sep 18, 2018The Macau government has yet to consider whether to make it compulsory for local casinos to suspend operations when Typhoon Signal No.8 or above is hoisted by the local weather bureau. So said on...
”Given that the blanket casino closure [in Macau due to Typhoon Mangkhut] happened on an all-important weekend day… we expect that somewhere between MOP1.1 billion [US$136.2 million] and MOP1.5 billion in GGR will be lost”
Analyst at Union Gaming Securities Asia