Malaysian conglomerate Genting Bhd might file a bid to operate a casino in Spain’s BCN World, a large scale entertainment complex being planned for Barcelona.
Several Spanish media, quoting unnamed sources, are reporting that the company might be one of the bidders for one of the six casino licences to be issued for the project. The deadline to present a bid is Friday, July 25, at 10am Spanish time. Each casino licensee will have to invest a minimum of EUR300 million (US$403 million) in BCN World.
BCN World is expected to include casinos, hotels, convention centres, leisure centres and residential areas.
Genting is engaged in gaming operations in Singapore, the Philippines, Europe and the United States. It is also the parent company of Genting Malaysia Bhd, which operates Malaysia’s only casino resort.
At least one Asia-based casino operator is expected to deliver a bid for BCN World – Hong Kong-listed Melco International Development Ltd. The company in May announced it had signed a memorandum of understanding with Veremonte España SL, the company promoting the BCN World project, to operate at least one casino in the complex. Veremonte is headed by Spanish businessman and entrepreneur Enrique Bañuelos.
In addition to casinos, Melco International’s project for BCN World is expected to include more than 10,000 hotel rooms, an exhibition and congress centre, a theatre, shopping centres, offices and up to 5,000 residential units, according to a company statement.
Media reports say that Veremonte has signed a similar agreement with Hard Rock group for the project’s second development phase. Spanish media reports from earlier this week said Veremonte had also engaged Caesars Entertainment Corp for the BCN World’s third phase. Both Hard Rock and Caesars Entertainment are expected to bid for casino licences. Caesars Entertainment is reportedly ready to invest EUR500 million to build a casino hotel in BCN World.
Genting would bid for its casino licence independently from Veremonte, the media reports said.
Aug 16, 2018Food and drink have been heavily marketed as part of Macau...
Jun 27, 2018Macau’s gaming law needs to be amended in order to...
Jun 25, 2018Electronic casino game distributor Asia Pioneer...
Sep 18, 2018The Macau government has yet to consider whether to make it compulsory for local casinos to suspend operations when Typhoon Signal No.8 or above is hoisted by the local weather bureau. So said on...
”Given that the blanket casino closure [in Macau due to Typhoon Mangkhut] happened on an all-important weekend day… we expect that somewhere between MOP1.1 billion [US$136.2 million] and MOP1.5 billion in GGR will be lost”
Analyst at Union Gaming Securities Asia