Construction work at the US$2.7 billion Parisian Macao has been halted but casino operator Sands China Ltd says there are no changes to the original schedule. The property is slated to open by late 2015, the company confirmed in a regulatory filing.
Portuguese-language newspaper Jornal Tribuna de Macau reported on Friday that Macau’s Land, Public Works and Transport Bureau has imposed a construction embargo on the project.
The notice had been issued on June 9, following an incident that injured two construction workers at the site.
The construction has been halted because the contractor does not have the necessary permit, Tribuna de Macau reported.
The government bureau is cited saying that the contractor has permission only to do earthworks on the site. However, the contractor has already built a structure of approximately 10 floors in height.
On a conference call on Thursday, to discuss the second quarter results of Las Vegas Sands Corp, the company confirmed that the construction of the Parisian Macao has stopped “pending receipt of certain approvals from the Macau government”.
Las Vegas Sands is the parent company of Macau-based Sands China.
Michael Leven, president and chief operating officer of Las Vegas Sands, said the operator hopes to obtain the go-ahead from the government “shortly”.
“We are positioning ourselves to ensure that we will have the ability to resume full activity quickly once the necessary approvals have been received,” Mr Leven said on the conference call.
“At this time, no plans have changed and we still envisage opening by the end of 2015,” he added.
In a written statement on Friday, Sands China said it had no comments.
Aug 20, 2018A key to entrepreneur Kazuo Okada reasserting control over...
Aug 17, 2018Entrepreneur Kazuo Okada (pictured) has told GGRAsia that...
Jul 06, 2018The operator of the Widus Hotel and Casino at Clark...
Jun 11, 2018Cambodia has some attributes that make it potentially...
Jun 06, 2018Global gaming supplier International Game Technology Plc...
Sep 21, 2018Police in the city of Cixi, in the mainland Chinese province of Zhejiang, have recently broken up a gambling ring that took bets through a website set up overseas, Chinese-language media from the...
Sep 21, 2018
Sep 21, 2018
”Assuming that our [Tigre de Cristal] phase two project and the other future operators’ development plans remain on track, we may see the benefits of a ‘cluster’ effect [in the Primorye Integrated Entertainment Zone] as early as 2021”
Summit Ascent, lead developer of Tigre de Cristal