A United States court has maintained a ban that prevents the release of the findings of an inquiry by the Massachusetts Gaming Commission on the handling by casino operator Wynn Resorts Ltd of sexual misconduct allegations against former chief executive and chairman Steve Wynn (pictured in a file photo).
The Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper reported on Friday that a court in the state of Nevada kept the ban, which, in effect, stops the Massachusetts Gaming Commission from holding a hearing about the suitability of Wynn Resorts for a licence for a casino near Boston, Massachusetts.
The court advised counsel representing respectively Mr Wynn, Wynn Resorts and the Massachusetts regulator to settle their differences over making public documents and transcripts that Mr Wynn contends are confidential on the grounds that they are privileged communications between lawyer and client.
Counsel for the various parties are due to return to court on Friday.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal report says it is unclear how this will affect efforts by the Massachusetts regulator to hold a hearing on the suitability of Wynn Resorts for a casino licence for its US$2.6 billion Encore Boston Harbor resort, which is due to open in June.
The regulator had intended to hold a hearing in November or last month, but the lawsuit in Nevada brought by Mr Wynn against the regulator and Wynn Resorts put the hearing on hold.
The newspaper quoted the Massachusetts Gaming Commission as saying in writing: “We remain committed to advancing this process and identifying the appropriate next steps to expedite the completion of Wynn Resorts’ suitability review.”
The regulator was quoted as saying it is due to hold on Thursday a public meeting which will discuss the litigation.
The newspaper quoted a written statement issued by Wynn Resorts as saying the company had done nothing wrong. ““We firmly believe that the company did nothing wrong in cooperating with the Massachusetts Gaming Commission’s investigation and that the documents and information in question do not violate Mr Wynn’s attorney-client privileges,” Wynn Resorts was quoted as saying.
The Nevada court imposed the ban in November, but it is only a temporary measure.
Mr Wynn resigned as chief executive and chairman of Wynn Resorts last February, weeks after allegations of sexual misconduct were made against him. He denies the allegations.
Wynn Resorts is the parent of Macau-based casino operator Wynn Macau Ltd.
Jun 30, 2022Universal Entertainment Corp said in a Wednesday statement it hoped to get the Okada Manila casino operation listed in the United States even before a new September 30 deadline agreed with 26 Capital...
"During our six years in office, we were able to record more than PHP300 billion [in revenue]"
Chairman of the Philippines’ gaming regulator Pagcor