The Federal Court in the Australian state of Victoria has dismissed a case brought by a former gambling addict against slot machine maker Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty Ltd and Australian casino operator Crown Resorts Ltd. In a ruling on Friday, the judge said that the design of a popular line of poker machines was not misleading or unconscionable.
The lawsuit was launched in 2016 by former gambling addict Shonica Guy. The lawsuit argued that the Dolphin Treasure machine, which is manufactured by Aristocrat and available to players at Crown Resorts’ properties, had been “deceptively designed to mislead players”. The lawsuit was filed against casino resort Crown Melbourne and Aristocrat Technologies.
Aristocrat Technologies is a subsidiary of Australia-listed slot machine maker Aristocrat Leisure Ltd.
According to a report by the Australian Financial Review, judge Debbie Mortimer of the Australian Federal Court ruled that while the “total theoretical return to player” displayed on the screen of the machines in question might be misleading, this impression was “fleeting” and would be “dispelled as soon as she or he actually starts gambling and the randomness of the operation of the machine and the returns become apparent”.
“The impression is fleeting and may cause confusion but it is not misleading or deceptive as the law defines those concepts,” she added.
In a filing on Friday to the Australian Securities Exchange, Aristocrat Leisure said it welcomed the judgement.
“Aristocrat is a high-integrity business that takes our regulatory obligations extremely seriously. We strive to scrupulously uphold our obligations with respect to EGM [electronic gaming machine] compliance,” the parent firm said.
Sep 25, 2020Australian casino operator Crown Resorts Ltd said in a Friday filing that it had suspended “all activity” with external gaming-junket partners, with effect until June 30, 2021. The company told...
Sep 25, 2020
”It will take many years, possibly three… to five years for… international visitor arrivals to return to 2019 pre-Covid-19 levels”
Chief executive of Singapore Tourism Board