The Macau government has decided not to order any suspension of construction work at a yet-to-be completed 36-storey building at Galaxy Macau Phase 2, following a fire that partially destroyed the base of one of its ornamental cupolas.
“A team of technicians from the Land, Public Works and Transport Bureau has already conducted an on-site inspection,” a bureau spokesperson told GGRAsia on Friday.
“The bureau will not order the suspension of construction works because the fire only damaged the outside façade, not having affected the structural safety of the building,” the spokesperson added.
A preliminary assessment from the Fire Services Bureau indicated the blaze started after a worker forgot to turn off welding equipment. No one was injured by the fire, but more than 6,000 workers had to be evacuated while firefighters battled the flames.
Galaxy Macau Phase 2 is likely to open in mid-2015 according to previous statements by developer Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd. The company had already stated that the fire would not cause any delay to the opening schedule.
Photo: video still from Macau public broadcaster TDM
May 24, 2019Las Vegas Sands Corp is only in the running for a big-city Japan casino licence, said the group’s managing director of global development, George Tanasijevich (pictured), in an interview with...
May 24, 2019
"We like Japan. We like all areas…but it is a matter of what the local government and the local people really want"
Ted Chan Ying Tat
Chief operating officer of Galaxy Entertainment Japan