A businessman from Hong Kong has sued Marina Bay Sands (pictured) in a Singapore court, seeking damages for wrongdoing and breach of contract. Cheung Che Kin claims he suffered losses when casino staff prevented him from taking over a baccarat game from a combined pool of chips he shared with a friend, according to documents from the Singapore High Court cited by the Straits Times newspaper.
Marina Bay Sands denies that Mr Cheung has suffered loss and damage and has filed a counterclaim for payment of outstanding credit amounting to US$1.96 million, plus 12 percent interest, from the high roller. The MBS action, filed in Hong Kong last July in order to recover the money from Mr Cheung, has been put on hold with both parties’ consent, according to the report.
The incident took place over two days in December 2012 when Mr Cheung and an associate, Qian Si Jie, visited the casino resort. Mr Cheung claimed he informed the casino that he and Mr Qian would be playing together from a combined pool of chips and that the casino raised no objections.
The two men played baccarat in one of the casino’s high-roller rooms, betting from the combined pool of chips without any objection from staff, said Mr Cheung.
But when Mr Qian said he felt unwell and Mr Cheung attempted to continue playing, using the combined chips, he was refused permission, according to the court documents. He then left the premises. His friend later continued playing and in doing so used up the credit line and eventually lost to the house all the chips that had been issued.
Mr Cheung claimed in his suit that the actions of the casino staff were akin to a forced repayment.
Jan 25, 2021Brokerage UBS Securities Asia Ltd says in a recent note that the official opening for the Hoiana resort (pictured in an artist’s rendering), a Vietnam casino complex, is now planned for the second...
"We have estimated that on average, the [daily] visitor arrivals for this year’s Chinese New Year break could turn out to be a bit weaker than for the Christmas holiday period"
Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes
Director of the Macao Government Tourism Office