Macau’s six casino licensees have all submitted their respective reports on the condition of security at their venues, as requested by the city’s government.
That is according to an email to GGRAsia from the local casino regulator, the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau, also known by its Portuguese-language acronym DICJ.
The operators had been invited to mention any initiatives of their own or any general suggestions to improve security at the city’s casino resorts. They had also been asked to report back within seven days of a June 4 meeting between the industry and Macau government officials. The gathering was called following the deadly attack on June 2 at the Resorts World Manila casino complex in the Philippine capital in which at least 36 people died.
The Macau gaming bureau told GGRAsia that it and the Judiciary Police – the body responsible for prevention and investigation of crime on Macau casino premises – were studying the content of the operator reports. The regulator’s email did not specify what fresh actions, if any, might be taken in relation to casino security.
“On June 4, the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau, the Judiciary Police and Macau’s gaming sector representatives met over the strengthening of security works at casinos. According to the government requirement, the gaming companies have already submitted the related reports accordingly,” stated the gaming bureau.
It added: “The Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau and the Judiciary Police are studying and analysing the content of the reports, and will continue to keep in close contact with the industry in regards to the strengthening of the security measures at casinos, so that the safety of the citizens, staff and visitors is ensured.”
Macau’s Secretary for Economy and Finance, Lionel Leong Vai Tac, said on June 6 that after receiving the requested reports on security conditions at Macau casino resorts, government departments would assess the security planning of the operators, to determine whether it was sufficient to meet requirements, and to establish if any additional security measures, facilities or personnel were needed.
GGRAsia approached Mr Leong’s office for comment on what steps might be taken following submission of the operators’ security reports. A phone call from his office referred us to the gaming bureau. A similar enquiry was made to the Office of the Secretary for Security, Wong Sio Chak, but no reply had been received by the time this story went online.
Jul 23, 2021Macau casino operator Sands China Ltd is to have a “full opening” for Londoner Court, with its 300-plus accommodation units, in time for October Golden Week, said on Friday, Wilfred Wong Ying Wai...
“We see that basically the ‘golden’ periods [for Macau's casino industry] are all concentrated in the second half of this year”
Lei Wai Nong
Macau’s Secretary for Economy and Finance