The Macau government is proposing a bill barring new gaming projects from being developed in any fresh land reclamation scheme involving the city’s demarcated waters.
The bill was announced on Tuesday by the city’s Executive Council – the Macau government’s main advisory body.
The decision to bar casinos from any new land reclamation scheme also covers a set of five land reclamation projects currently under development, said the Executive Council’s spokesperson.
The bill announced on Tuesday aims to set a framework for the management of Macau’s newly demarcated waters.
It was announced in December 2015 that Macau was to be given powers to administer 85 square kilometres (33 sq miles) of water surrounding the territory, following a decision from China’s State Council. At the time, it had already been announced that if any land reclamation was to take place in those waters, gaming venues would not be allowed.
Any fresh proposal for land reclamation involving Macau’s newly demarcated waters needs to be approved to China’s central government.
At the time of Macau’s handover from Portuguese administration in 1999, there was no provision for the Macau government to manage the waters surrounding the territory.
Jan 23, 2018Emergency and other Macau government workers joined a simulation drill overnight on Monday at the Galaxy Macau casino resort operated by Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd. The government said the drill...
Dec 29, 2017It could be 2024 before a casino resort is opened in Japan,...
Dec 27, 2017The year 2017 could prove to have been a turning point in...
Oct 25, 2017The deployment of radio frequency identification (RFID)...
”We have been given reason to have confidence that that our businesses [in Macau] will continue after the initial concession expiration date”
Chairman and chief executive of Wynn Macau