Police in the Philippines say they are preparing to file criminal charges against the management of the Resorts World Manila casino resort, following a deadly siege at the venue in the country’s capital last month. Charges are also likely to be filed against a company that has been providing security services at the property, reported the Manila Times newspaper.
Resorts World Manila (pictured in a file photo) was attacked on June 2 by a lone gunman. The attack left 37 people dead, including the perpetrator Jessie Javier Carlos.
“The Supervisory Office for Security and Investigation Agencies will finalise and submit … their findings, which means they are ready to file charges of negligence resulting in multiple homicides,” Metro Manila police director, Oscar Albayalde, was quoted as saying by the media outlet. The official was said to be speaking at a public forum on Monday.
The families of three of the victims intend to file criminal charges, said Mr Albayalde, adding that the police can file the case as a “nominal complainant”.
The official clarified that the charges would be filed against, respectively: Travellers International Hotel Group Inc, operator of Resorts World Manila; and NC Lanting Security Specialist, a security firm.
Mr Albayalde added that the case was strong due to admissions by staff of NC Lanting Security that they had failed to monitor closed-circuit television pictures during the attack.
Travellers International said in a filing to the Philippine Stock Exchange on Tuesday that it could not comment on the matter as it had “not received the final report of the Philippine National Police”.
According to the Manila Times, management at Resorts World Manila had given PHP1 million (US$19,803) to each of the families of the victims. The operator is said also to have paid hospital fees or other treatment costs of the people that were injured during the attack.
In Tuesday’s filing, the operator of Resorts World Manila stated “proposals for settlement are under study by the company”. The company gave no further details.
Persida Acosta, head of the country’s Public Attorney’s Office, said in radio interview that a “class suit” was being prepared against the management of Resorts World Manila, reported the Manila Times.
On June 29, Travellers International said the country’s gaming regulator – the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) – had lifted a suspension order imposed on June 9 regarding Resorts World Manila’s gaming operation. It said gaming had been resumed after the company had “taken action to address the issues in its safety and security procedures”.
Jan 27, 2022Macau’s gaming regulator, the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau, says it is still assessing the respective applications of 29 gaming promoters – also known as junkets –...
”Al Marjan Island [in the United Arab Emirates] is a pristine setting and an ideal greenfield location for us to create the one-of-a-kind guest experiences for which Wynn Resorts is renowned”
Chief executive of Wynn Resorts