Philippines-based PhilWeb Corp says it would like to acquire what it termed “15 Pagcor e-Games stations” from existing independent operators, using up to 7.5 million of the company’s treasury shares.
Wednesday’s filing to the Philippine Stock Exchange made no mention of whether Pagcor – the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp, the country’s gaming regulator – had been approached regarding approval for such a move. The filing also did not identify the target businesses by brand name.
In August 2016, Pagcor had said it would not be renewing a licence PhilWeb had held for a network of e-Games parlours in that country. PhilWeb had been operating a chain of 286 Pagcor-licensed e-Games outlets, according to company data disclosed around that time.
Since the non-renewal of its former licence, PhilWeb has seen a shake-up of its leadership, and has issued several filings mentioning proposals for a return to gaming sector operations. So far the firm has not issued any follow-up filings to indicate any of its initiatives have been successful.
It had also been announced last year that Roberto Ongpin – an entrepreneur publicly criticised by the country’s president, Rodrigo Duterte – had resigned as PhilWeb chairman and had sought to divest his holding in the firm.
Oct 22, 2021Starting from the stroke of midnight on October 24 (Sunday), travellers arriving in China’s capital Beijing from Macau are no longer required to undergo a 14-day period of “centralised medical...
”Our own consensus is that any newcomers to this [junket] sector should be corporatised, and should be financially sound and able to commit a higher guarantee deposit”
Kwok Chi Chung
President of junket trade body, the Macau Association of Gaming and Entertainment Promoters