Only two Macau gaming properties have so far had smoking lounge applications approved by the city’s authorities under a new, enhanced set of technical standards, said the city’s Health Bureau in a press release issued on Tuesday.
In total, just 11 of Macau’s 47 gaming venues in operation – including casinos and slot parlours – had submitted as of July 31 applications to have smoking lounges approved under the new set of technical standards.
The document did not specify which gaming venues had applied for the new smoking lounges. It only stated that, in total, the 11 gaming venues had filed an aggregate of 68 requests for approval of smoking lounges. The application figures remained unchanged from June 30.
Among the 68 requests, 10 smoking lounges in two gaming venues have been approved by the city’s authorities, stated the Health Bureau.
The first smoking lounge application approval was announced in April. It was submitted by casino hotel Ponte 16, a joint venture between casino operator SJM Holdings Ltd and Success Universe Group Ltd.
Macau’s gaming operators have to submit by September 28 any applications for new smoking lounges, in order for such requests to have a chance of being approved before the city’s new regime on smoking is enforced in casinos on January 1, 2019. The Health Bureau has justified the September 28 deadline on the basis of how long it would take to inspect and approve the smoking lounges with enhanced technical standards.
The Macau government banned in October 2014 smoking on casino mass floors. An exception was made for tobacco use in enclosed smoking lounges – facilities without gaming machines or tables – located on some casino mass-market floors in the city.
Macau’s Legislative Assembly approved on July 14 last year a revised bill on smoking that bans tableside tobacco use in VIP rooms. Although the new rules apply from January 1, 2018, tableside smoking at VIP rooms will in effect be able to continue until January 1, 2019, as casinos have been given a year’s grace period to set up VIP smoking lounges.
Existing casino smoking lounges – set up on mass floors since the ban on free-for-all casino smoking – will have to be upgraded in order to meet the new standards. If any existing lounges were found to be in operation – without the necessary technical upgrades and fresh authorisations – after January 1, 2019, operators could be fined up to MOP200,000 (US$24,747).
On Tuesday, the Health Bureau said additionally that the aggregate number of charges filed for instances of smoking in unauthorised areas inside the city’s casinos reached 964 in the first seven months of 2018. That is an increase of 111.4 percent from the prior-year period, show the official data.
Statistics from the bureau show that a total of 512 site inspections were conducted inside casinos in the seven months to July 31 – up 136 inspections in the prior-year period.
Smokers that use a tobacco product in no-smoking areas are subject to a fine of MOP1,500.
Jan 16, 2019Macau casino operator Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd announced on Wednesday a discretionary bonus for its eligible employees at senior manager grade and below. The press release about the award noted...
Jan 16, 2019
Jan 16, 2019
"We are interested in providing the best possible conditions for all investors, including [casino] operators"
Director of the Department of Tourism of Russia's Primorsky provincial government