Macau casino operator Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd has confirmed to GGRAsia that it has been upgrading facilities on the mass and VIP gaming floors in phase one of its flagship Galaxy Macau resort on Cotai. The work is part of the firm’s previously-announced aggregate HKD1.5-billion (US$190-million) revamp of, collectively, Galaxy Macau, the next-door Broadway Macau; and the StarWorld Hotel on Macau peninsula.
A site visit to Galaxy Macau last week by GGRAsia indicated that a first-floor VIP gaming area near the Diamond Lobby entrance to the property – and with Suncity Group branding displayed on it – was out of use, with indications renovation work was under way. A sign said the gaming facilities there had been relocated to another part of the property.
Galaxy Entertainment said in an emailed statement in response to our enquiries: “We are pleased with the progress of the [revamp] programme and will continue to provide a comfortable and enjoyable environment to our guests.”
The statement added: “The [revamp] programme includes the upgrading of gaming facilities, including both mass gaming floor and various VIP rooms, and non-gaming facilities such as food and beverage outlets. It also includes the renovation of Galaxy Hotel, Hotel Okura Macau, Banyan Tree Macau and StarWorld Hotel.”
The gaming operator however did not specify what work was being done, how long the revamp for the gaming areas of its Cotai resort would take, nor the extent of the effort.
In comments to the media in late February, Galaxy Entertainment’s deputy chairman, Francis Lui Yiu Tung, mentioned that the firm was spending an aggregate of HKD1.5 billion on a revamp covering respectively Galaxy Macau, and the connecting Broadway Macau; as well as StarWorld Hotel. The bulk of the money was for Galaxy Macau and StarWorld, Mr Lui noted at the time.
The Galaxy Entertainment executive had also said that the firm aimed to complete the revamp works at its Cotai and Macau peninsula properties within a “year-and-a half to two years”. The revamp at Galaxy Macau was to be done before the completion of the Cotai resort’s Phases 3 and 4; the latter projects being actively pursued, he said.
Sep 30, 2022A Friday session at Macau’s Court of First Instance heard three former gambling patrons of ex-junket operator Suncity Group claim it was linked to proxy betting activities hosted in the...
”With Star Vegas back to operation since 18 June 2022, we believe that Donaco will recover its performance and prevail during this pandemic”
Chairman of casino operator Donaco International